Friday, June 15, 2007

Banectorine

Yesterday the kids and I went to the grocery store on a fruit mission. We were going to make fruit kabobs. They each got their own child-size grocery cart to push around and I let them pick out what they thought looked good. They had a blast. When we were finished I checked their carts to see what they had picked out. Alex did really well. His cart had bananas, apples, limes and mellons. Riley, however, had strawberries, grapes, bananas, and potatoes. I tried to explain why we were putting the potatoes away but she just looked at me like I was crazy. She really wanted those potatoes.

Trying to distract her and change the subject on her little mind, I asked her to help me grab some pineapple and nectorines. Successful! The pineapple really excited her and I showed both of them how to check for a good one. They love to smell fruit, it's too cute. We decided we had enough and headed to the check out line.

When we got home, I sliced it all up and put it all on a large platter. I also added marichino cherries and marshmallows. I've never seen my kids so excited to eat fruit! They had more fun trying to get the fruit on the sticks than our earlier activity of playdough. Especially when they were working with the grapes.

When Daddy got home and asked about their day, they were so excited to tell him about the fruit. He asked each what their favorite was. For Alex, it was the marshmallows and Riley said, "The Ba-nectorines!"

No comments: